The Yukon Invasive Species Council (YISC) was formed on December 18, 2009. Previously, the council existed as an ad-hoc committee, formed in 2004.
As defined in the YISC constitution, the purposes of the Council are:
- To coordinate invasive species management in Yukon.
- To prevent the introduction and spread of invasive species in Yukon.
- To inform, educate and advise the public and professionals about invasive species and their risk to ecosystems and economies through activities such as workshops, seminars, and newsletters.
- To collaborate with other jurisdictions on invasive species issues.
- To encourage, promote and support research on invasive species that will contribute to the achievement of the social and economic goals of the people of Yukon.
The YISC strategic plan is developed to:
- Improve territory-wide guidance on invasive species management;
- Complement, support and develop ongoing activities in invasive species management
- Protect Yukon’s environment and economy by minimizing the negative impacts caused by the introduction, establishment and spread of invasive species.
- Establish a base for further development of the council by prioritizing and organizing actions for the next five years
View the Strategic Plan 2021 - 2025:
YISC Strategic Plan 2021 - 2025